Sunday 11 August 2013

Is Neil Gaiman really The Sandman?

According to a friend, also the housemate of the person who previously requested the Sandman, my plushie looks like Neil Gaimain. I suppose he is pale with straggly hair and wears a lot of black. But I can't imagine he goes barefoot or wears a black onesie.

Anyway apparently a second copy was required to donate to the man himself at a signing, so very much at the last minute I started making him. I didn't have the particular black I wanted for his body but fortunately with no time to spare I found I had enough of some black to be the body and to be the fabric under the hair.

 I was also out of white felt so after some debate and query with the requester I used some white fabric I had to hand which was slightly heavy but not too bad.

Making was remarkably easy considering I'd not made one for a while but I'm still searching for a better solution to fixing on the hair. Another friend suggested I should have sewn it into the top of the head seam. I guess I could but I'm not convinced yet.

Anyway. In order to get the hair right I basically cut it far longer than needed and then give it a hair cut. Before the haircut this is what it looks like:

"Rastagaiman" Sandman plushie pre haircut and prior to the jacket being completed.

I then cut the hair the way I want it. I'm not sure I got the coat's proportions right but I did use the same pattern as alwys.

Then all that's left is the photo - in this case I felt like being arty and used some books as background. The one behind him is The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.


Completed second attempt at Sandman plushie




If you're interested this is a comparison picture showing the previous attempt at the Sandman:


Photo showing both versions of the Sandman plushie

Previously  : Dream a little dream

No comments: