Sunday 18 August 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet - M to O

M is for Medusa and mistletoe

Original sketch
New sketch

I did originally think of having the Minotaur in there alongside Medusa, but I'm aiming for simpler designs where I can bring myself to do so.
A change you can see that is very recent and was not in my first attempt at a new sketch is that I decided we should see Medusa's face. I had originally hidden it because in the myth looking at Medusa turns you to stone, but I also decided that if all the men got to show their faces Medusa should also get to show hers. I've also pulled her out from behind the letter M. I may move her again in the final final drawing and move her to be more central.
The mistletoe is a new element idea to tie in with druids, I'm not convinced it will look like anything yet but it is a small element so it doesn't crowd things too much.

N is for Narcissus

Original sketch 
Original sketch for geeky letter N for narcissus (daffodil)
New sketch 

I didn't really have any other ideas here, but the flower has grown in size to clarify the design. This is for the myth of the boy who was in love with himself and was turned into a Narcissus (daffodil) flower.

O is for Odin

Original sketch
Original sketch for geeky O for Odysseus
New sketch 
New sketch of geeky O for Odin

Odin and Odysseus were the original ideas I had to work with. I originally chose O, but then on sketching full size I dithered as we are not seeing Odysseus directly but his boat and also, there is a lot of Greek myth and it would be nice to mix it up with other mythologies a bit more. I then had to hunt for some help in drawing Odin, whose prime characteristics are the loss of the eye (so as to drink from a well of wisdom) and the beard. I looked around a bit and I decided I really didn't want an eyepatch, which I'm sure is plausible for that period of history but I didn't feel happy with it as an option. I took inspiration from this image and the eyebrow for the missing eye will just be more dominant and perhaps a bit lower down that side.
Animated movie image of Odin (possibly voiced by Brian Blessed)
Looking at the Encyclopaedia Mythica entry about Odin I note that inconveniently ravens are not particularly his thing (I did think they were) but I might try to incorporate that spear "Gungnir".
Back up check on wikipedia  (wiki entry on Odin) says  he does associate with ravens. Inserting either is going to be fiddly space wise. I'll have a think.

No comments: