Saturday 17 August 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet - D to F

So finally some new letters!

D is for Dalek

Original sketch
Original sketch for geeky letter D with a dalek
New sketch
New sketch for geeky letter D with a dalek
I'm still struggling with how to draw a decent dalek. I may resort to tracing. They're not easy to draw correctly! I ended up leaving out dwarves as they were fiddly to draw and sew and also I am trying to go for simple designs for easier construction.

E is for Elmo!

Original sketch
Original sketch for geeky letter E including Elmo
New sketch
New sketch for geeky letter E including Elmo
OK so confession time - I had some help from an artist colleague who can really draw to make my Elmo into a more Elmo like picture. Some of the problems with Elmo, as with dwarves and later feegles is that part of their characteristics is their small size. With no scale but the letter it's hard to give the impression of small without making a very small picture which is hard to make and see. Fortunately Elmo is also red so I can at least do that.

I would have liked to do Elmer the patchwork elephant from David McKee's books but he has so many squares that it would be very fiddly to sew either as real patches (very small) or as embroidery, which would be equally tedious. Thus, it will just be Elmo, not his namelike Elephant friend.

F is for feegles and flamingoes (for playing croquet)

Original sketch
Original sketch for geeky letter F including feegles and flamingoes
New sketch
Original sketch for geeky letter F including feegles and flamingoes

I didn't have much I wanted to do here. I should at some point sketch the feegles features but they're going to be pretty rudimentary/simplified. I must remember the plaits that several depictions seem to include.
Illustration of a feegle

No comments: