Sunday 18 August 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet - V to ?Z

V is for vampire...who likes to count

Original sketch
Original sketch for geeky letter V for violin (Sherlock Holmes)
New sketch
New sketch for geeky letter V for vampire (the count from Sesame street)

So I had struggled with V the last time round and had overlooked my friend's suggestion from the last time of vampires - the Count from Sesame Street. I had ended up with "violin" - a reference to Sherlock Holmes' instrument of choice. This was a bit of a stretch really as yes, Holmes does play violin but it's not really iconic in the way that say, the sonic screwdriver is for the Doctor.
So I was kindly reminded of this idea again while faffing with the new sketch and so voila! New design with the Count. I confess at this point - entirely traced from the internets but hey! I'm going to be the one sewing it darn it!!

W is for Wonderwoman

Original sketch
Original sketch for geeky letter W for Wizzard (his hat - Rincewind's spelling - Pratchett)
New sketch attempt 1
First attempt at new sketch for geeky letter W for wizzard (his hat - Rincewind spelling - Pratchett)
New sketch attempt 2
Second attempt at new sketch for geeky letter W for Wonderwoman
When I'd originally sketched for the letter W I had not included the W in the sketch, except as it was part of the writing "Wizzard" on the hat, misspelled in the same fashion that Rincewind apparently does on his own hat in Pratchett's stories about him. When I came to combine the hat with the letter W on my new sketch I struggled to fit that hat in such a way that I could clearly write the word Wizzard on it. I had thought of White rabbit but somehow I still felt a bit uncertain about it. Should it go under W for white or R for rabbit? Combined with the fact I was starting to feel there was an imbalance of women to men on my letters, I decided to go to Wonder Woman, an idea I'd avoided early on because well, comics are not a big thing in her life, even if they have been in mine but...heck. WONDER WOMAN so who cares? And tadah! I looked for a reference image for the face and discovered her head band is kind of slightly different in different pictures. But this is the image I liked
 Image from DC comics of Wonder Woman's face 
So then I got to thinking about the gauntlets/bracelets which I'd always imagined as plain. This mostly seems to be the case, although some have stars and other patterns. So I'm keeping it simple.

X is for ....I don't know

No I am not kidding. I did an original sketch for X
 But it turns out X wings from Star Wars are kinda....only vaguely X ish. Specially when you want your X to be more symmetrical from multi directions.


Think this is fan art of Luke Skywalker's X wing
I could overlay one on the other, but it would start to get messy, and I could make it small but it would become too fiddly... So where do I go next? I'm not sure...but I have already sketched some ideas for Y and Z so onwards!

Y is for Yggdrasil

...but then you knew that from my earlier posting.
Original sketch
Original sketch for geeky Y for Yggdrasil (the world tree, Norse mythology)



So I was trying to keep things simply but Yggdrasil is the world tree - at its simplest an Ash tree. Not very complex but then I read the Wikipedia article and the Encyclopaedia Mythica article
and I'm like. Right so symbols related to the tree -
  • It has three roots that lead to three sources of water:
    • the Well of Wisdom (MĂ­misbrunnr)
    • the Well of Fate (Urdarbrunnr)
    • the Hvergelmir (Roaring Kettle), the source of many rivers
  • There is a dragon/snake eating its roots called Nidhogg
  • There is a squirrel in its branches called Ratatosk
  • Four deer representing the four winds
  • an eagle
I started thinking and found this picture I like, which is a tattoo design.
Tattoo design of Yggdrasil

So what's a girl to do? I can't fit all that in! But but but but....  squirrels! And deer!
New sketch for geeky letter Y is for Yggdrasil the world tree


Z is for ?Zeus

Original sketch 
Original sketch for geeky letter Z for Zeus

I did an intial sketch for Z of Zeus - a beardy guy with Lightning. I'm still thinking though as it would push the balance in favour of men over women, and also apart from the lightning, not very thrilling. New sketch is not yet done. I will update you when I've done some more!

No comments: