Thursday 26 September 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet : Q is for Queens

It's a busy day today - I gots 3 updates for you for the letters Q, R and S. The end is nigh....or something. Actually I'm at 19 out of 30 so I guess I'm sort of 2/3 of the way I guess which is pretty cool.

I had decided on that purple from C for cat as the Q. This was not going to be my favourite thing on account of the pins. I decided to make use of the fact that the Q is broken by the figures in it to cover up the fact that I didn't have a piece of purple large enough to go round. I decided (I think my Mum might have hinted) that I would tack rather than pinning. This helped immensely.

Tacking is when you sew something loosely and don't knot the threads so you can remove it once you've done the real sewing. I did mine in contrasting colours so I wouldn't accidentally pin the tacking in place by sewing over it.

Tacking and pinning down the circle of the Q

I then got on to the figures. I immediately hit a snag - the figures are extremely small and despite my original ideas for the arms and seated position of the figures, I didn't think I could make them work in cloth. I had to simplify the shape to fit what I could achieve more easily in cloth.

Final "design" for Q for Queens. End result slightly differs - figures stand, not sit and have more simplified arms waving around like windmills.

It also helped cover up a gap I'd left in the wrong place for the new arrangement.

Early stage of sewing down the Queens for Q

I did consider leaving the faces blank but I didn't like it.

Q is for Queens (Red and White) complete

Why Queens?

There are two entertaining Queens in Alice through the looking glass :the Red and the White.

My favourite scene with the Red Queen is the one where Alice has become a Queen but can't eat anything because she keeps being introduced to the food.

My favourite scene for the White Queen (apart from the jam quote obviously) is the dreamlike riverboat sequence with the shop.

No comments: