Saturday 14 September 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet - general progress

So I have this photo collage app on my phone which I've been using to look at how the letters will go together. It leaves a white border space that I think will not be possible at the end due to some slight measurement miscalculations on my part (whoops!).

So this is all the letters done so far.


The app I use (PicsArt) allows me to do 1 row of 4 or 2 rows of 4 but not 3 rows of 4 so this is a manual combination of 3 images via PowerPoint.

Obviously the lighting is different in each one depending on the time of day, where I took it, and the colour has varied depending on what was the general colour around it, but it's a nice satisfying feeling to see them all laid out together and not looking too awful. There are inevitably a lot of colours but so far there haven't been any extreme clashes.

I think back to my original basic colour cloth choices and I'm thinking about what will be in the next row near that dark blue corner of K and L. Underneath will be O for Odin with some browns pinks and greys, but also P for Pomegranate with a light green base colour. Lower down will be S for stars on black, T for Tardis with some dark navy blue. So that should be OK.

Basic cloth colours for each square laid out roughly in place to consider contrast and clashes etc
After that still remains debatable. This colour plan accidentally missed out V. So I still have to work that one out. I may have 2 rows of 3 at the end. Not sure yet.

Obsessing over numbers as I redesign M.

If I stick to current designs I have 6 women and 7 men.  Of those figures, 5 women and 5 men are full figures head to toe (ish).  There are 2 men who are only part of a person - 1 face, 1 head and torso, and 1 woman head and torso.

Thinking of Bechdel test, almost all the men and women have names....one man doesn't have anything but his group(the feegle) and three people just have their title (the red and white Queens and the Count). All of them are static.

3 of the women are warriors (Xena, Wonder Woman, Athena) , 2 of the men (Heracles, and I think, Odin). One of the men is a cocky idiot(Icarus) and another a slacker (Zaphod), but only one of the women is monstrous (Medusa) and superscary. And I guess you could say 2 people are known for their brains (Athena and Odin).

We have various indeterminate gender scaries, people style animals and robots that often get a masculine pronoun (a ghost, Big Bird, Dalek, R2D2).

I think it's a nice mix.

No comments: