Saturday 21 September 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet : N is for Narcissus

I am currently a bit behind on blog posts as I'm now about to start on Q, but that means you get lots of posts all in one go! Lucky lucky you ;-)

As I started this one I was a little concerned. I was adding a design onto a busy patterned cloth and I didn't want the main design to be overwhelmed by that and I didn't want to change the background. I spent some time choosing the right colours as always and although I really wanted to use ribbon for the reduced hassle the right colour for the letter was dark blue so that meant a lot of pinning

I also slightly simplified the leaves because both the letter and the green which was to overlap the letter required lots and lost of pins. The upside I guess of lots of pins is that I'm in a desperate hurry to get rid of them, so I sew quite fast.

This is the half way stage.

N for Narcissus (as a daffodil) in progress, N part sewn down, flower's leaf and stalk being sewn down


Because I was so fed up of pins by this point I decided not to use a cloth needing hemming for the daffodil as having pinned everything including the pond I'd had enough! I did make the trumpet slightly 3 D by using a loop of ribbon and not sewing all of the front part down.

N for Narcissus completed

I think that's all I can say really!!

To keep you going on this one, I link you to the fabulous Theoi Library site (one of my new favourite sites for Greek Myth info) and to Ovid's Metamorphoses Book 3 for the myth of Echo and Narcissus - the man who fell in love with his own reflection.

Extra fun linky - a Geek and Sundry vlogger Dael Kingsmill talks about the Narcissus myth

No comments: