Friday 1 February 2013

Plushie the third

Of all the bars in all the worlds.... I got asked to do Mal Reynolds from Firefly..... (melt).

It was an amazing commission (still no idea how to spell that you know). This friend is a loyal fan of all things Nathan Fillion so I knew it was going to a good home.

Doing the "research", it was amazing how much you don't notice or remember about the fine details. It was a relatively simple alteration of the original pattern. Different colours, no jacket and shirt, just a top and of course the coat of doom. I debated giving him gloves but they'd have been pointless - either they would have fallen off if made separately or you wouldn't have been able to take them off.


I was getting into the swing of this,

The real thing was the holster which I decided to make out of fake leather. It was a killer to sew but there wasn't much sewing so it went fine.


By this point I could really see why the original Michelle Coffee pattern used felt - no hemming, and sewed on the outside. Turning it inside out and then right side out was rather fiddly.

However, I like the neater effect and the chance to use other materials so I stick with it. With three done, lots of people were coming out of the woodwork asking. I had 3 more commissions without even trying.

Thus far I had not considered asking for money. Mal Reynold's owner had helped pay for some fabrics as we'd gone to the Knitting and Stitching show together and I didn't have all the colours or fabrics.

With three more coming my way I did debate asking for a fee but I decided ultimately I didn't want any money, I didn't want a business. I wanted to make things, use up old bits and be creative. I'd see about charging later.

For interest's sake Mal was probably the least repurposed fabric offcuts. His shirt and trousers and skin fabrics were all bought. THe hair and coat and boots and holster were all left overs.

No comments: