Tuesday 12 February 2013

Decisions, decisions

With any of my plushies I have to make decisions. In that respect, Edward Cullen is a tough set of choices. Not physically but to make him characteristic.

OK so Edward is a vampire. But with no special vampire teeth, no special costume a la halloween. The clothes he wears are not distinctive, they are, well, quite dull.

The outfit I've chosen seems as iconic as I could make it but ultimately wouldn't look like anything if I didn't find ways to 'mark' the doll as Edward.

I suppose this image here of Edward up a tree is effectively the outfit the plushie is wearing.

Trying to get fine details to work can make things go weird too. Today I got to the eyes. So I was looking to work out the colour. This image of just Edward's eyes is what I went for. The trouble is that the plushie has just round circular eyes usually.

I started out with just yellow. That looked odd, so I added a circle of black. This still looked weird, so then I added a dot of black in the centre. This then looked creepy rather than intense and I had to think how to tone that down and came up with adding a brow shape across the top. He now looks kind of angry but his eye is at least not a dart board. Most of my adaptations are like this. I make them up as I go. I'm not a great maker, I just play with a very very simple design.

It's a lot easier when it's more iconic colour wise though. You can really see why comic books have such extreme colour outfits for their characters.

No comments: