Sunday 26 April 2020

Open the door - let them in - Page 3


Page 3 - Tardis with opening doors - doors closed
This blog is so delayed. Anyway, Page 3 is the Tardis.
One of the things I should mention is the background fabric. Not being blessed with endless yardage of the same background colours I attempted as best I could to mix up the different background fabrics and to not bunch it up too much. I also wanted to make sure I had enough of darker night time-y colours for pages where they should be night time-y.
This one has a shiny black fabric (satin?), contrasting the dark blue velvet of the doll pocket and the front page.
Page 3 - Tardis with opening doors - doors are open to show 11's console inside
Making the Tardis out of cloth gave me room to do things like make the backs of the doors white - a detail I had never noticed before - also to have slightly transparenty windows. I think there's a little cardboard in the doors to help stiffen them slightly.

The largest alteration I made to the original pattern is that the original pattern does not specify what is behind the doors. I chose this console which I think is 11's (Matt Smith). I don't think I had a reason, I just felt like it. I did toy with doing some kind of swirl of light like when Rose opens the Tardis to save people but I rather like how the console has come out.

A detail that despite it being in the instructions that I messed up is the sign - Police Box. You can see from the two pictures that originally I got it wrong and put black writing on white - a version I did find pics of but nothing definitive, and when I realised mostly it's white writing on black I had to go back and change it.

No comments: