Monday 27 April 2020

Dress up dolly - Page 4 & 5


Pages 4 and 5 - the accessories and the dalek
Pages 4 and 5 are a pair. I mentioned this in a video guide but it's very obvious that as Spacebat Designs created this design, she was consciously trying to tone down the fear factor of the scarier characters for a child audience. Here we have Daleks who are pretty scary and they are set up to be dressed up. I also loved this page because the person it was for has a dalek with a feather boa in her house.

 Page 5 - Dalek without accessories
With any page I think through my fabric choices for different parts to make sure they all go colour-wise, but often I then have to work through the challenges of working with those fabrics as I go along, I only have so much forethought.

So in this case, I'd chosen to continue using cloth for the dalek itself, but I got as far as the balls that decorate the "skirt" and I realised there was no way I had the patience to cut out all the tiny circles of fabric and tuck the edges under to avoid fraying.

I was stuck for a while but then I remembered a broken necklace with beads the right colour and size and it was such a relief not to have a frustrating chore for that detail.

Also I can't bring my British self to use a z in accessorise. It just isn't happening!

Page 4 - close up of dress up accessories for the dalek
As I mentioned the accessories had to have the feather boa, so I adapted the pattern of the scarf to make a nice shape for the boa.

Foolishly I decided to embroider the scarf thinking it was too small to take long and it really took a lot longer than I expected, specially when I was looking into colours and found the official pattern of colours from the original scarf.

The other ones I decided to make it easy on myself, so I used actual beads for the pearl necklace and felt for the other hats and the bow tie was made from ribbon.

The last detail was outlines so you could see where to stash the the different accessories when not in use.

No comments: