Monday 6 April 2020

Friends and past selves...page 2 or inner cover

Two plush Doctors from Doctor Who - 13th Doctor (character played by Jodie Whittaker) and 5th Doctor (played by Peter Davison)
One of the optional parts of the book was the doll pocket and the dolls themselves. I think I did these quite late in the day and I kind of caved because I'd made lots of plushies before as you can see on this blog.

There was another pattern I could have bought for them, but I decided to free style.

This was not exactly wise as you may be able to see from the pair of them together. The newest doctor is fatter and larger than the fifth Doctor, because I'd had such a terrible time turning him right side out that I increased the pattern.

Construction pic showing putting together 5th Doctor (Peter Davison) from Doctor Who - you can see the pattern, some embroidery thread and the two sides of the doll waiting to be sewn togetherCompleted 5th Doctor (Peter Davison) from Doctor Who with celery stick
For those of you who don't know how I do that, I made a pattern and design, and then put together each site of the doll.

I then sew it together right side to right side, then turn inside out and stuff.

If you make the arms too thin, you spend a very slow time trying to get them the right way out, panicking that you will push too hard and make a hole in the fabric.

This is particularly bad if there is a thickened area, like where the hands meet the sleeves.
I survived, if with slightly wonky arms, and narrowly escaped forgetting his lovely celery stick thanks to an observant friend who saw my posted photos.

I haven't got a separate image of the pocket space the dolls are sitting in, but it was a rescue of a piece of fabric I accidentally melted, because me, and I rather like it. It reminds me of the rip in dimensions in one of the 11th Doctor episodes.
Completed 13th Doctor (Jodie Whittaker) without her coatCompleted plushie of the 13th Doctor (Jodie Whittaker) complete with coat
Obviously it was a lot easier to make 13 as she was a larger pattern all round.

I don't always make any of the clothes separately and removable, but often longer coats or jackets do get made separately, and I think in this case the lining goes all the way up the back piece, if not into the arms.

Some details in either doll do simply have to be left out because I can't make things that small but I loved adding in the earring and braces.

No comments: