Wednesday 27 April 2016

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die

So my latest requested plushie was Grimmjow Jaegerjacquez - a character from Bleach manga. I confess I was not familiar and had to do some research for details and query others.

He's had a variety of outfits but I think this was the one requested.
Grimmjow Jaegerjacquez source image from animeGrimmjow back view
The most exciting challenge for me was the fact that he has a hole through the middle of his body. A fact that reminds me of Existenz (1999) a film where people get a hole in their back and jack into some kind of gaming network.  It's not at all the same but every time I was planning this aspect I kept being reminded.

I was going to photograph the process but as the hole through the middle involved a black tube of felt attached to one side at one point at around the middle of his body... I leave you to guess why I didn't.

Anyway, I was a little nervous because I had to guess how wide his body would be and therefore how long the black tube would need to be but fortunately I guessed OK.  Essentially in order to be able to turn him right way out after sewing the two sides together I had to leave one end free. Once the right way out I could then attach the far end of the tube. Then, to stuff the doll I left a pole through the hole so that it didn't collapse while I stuffed the body.

I can't photograph in a way that shows you that you can see through the hole but it's kind of cool.

Grimmjow stage one - body is complete including "Hollow" hole - front view

Grimmjow stage one - body is complete including "Hollow" hole and 6 tattoo - rear view
The next stage was the short jacket. The description on the wiki says a turned up collar and the sleeves rolled up, white, with black lining.

I'm not good at lining things so I tend to just line each piece and then turn them inside out and attach.
Grimmjow stage 2 - jacket left sleeve complete, right sleeve to be sewn
Unfortunately this meant somehow the sleeves were too exact to roll up but I still like the effect.
Grimmjow Jaegerjacquez complete with jacket
Hopefully the new owner will like it too! They liked stage 1 (without the jacket) so here's hoping.

No comments: