Saturday 12 October 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet : X is for Xena, warrior princess

I am well aware that I have followed to powerful women one after the other, but firstly I love both the characters, and secondly, you try thinking of some decent things for X! X-men would have been nice but the logo was quite what I wanted. ANYhoo...

So, Xena, yes, well she is kind of ace. I decided since she dresses is brown leather and I had some brown fake leather I would use it. I knew it would be a challenge but I really wanted to do it.

I tried to get Xena's clothing details vaguely right, so I had some of my usual picspam to help me (thank God for Pinterest).

Xena warrior princess  - photo from an episode Xena's chakram close up photo from an episode

Because it's hard to sew through fake leather (or real leather, I've never tried) and also tough to sew through multiple layers and other stitchery, I decided I would have to carefully pin things in place and sew through the leather first rather than sewing down the X, then the flesh of Xena's head and arms and then the dress as I would normally.

It had all been so much easier when I used the leather for the A for Athena

Xena does look a lil freaky with no hair but that's cos I couldn't be bothered to use fabric and decided to embroider it instead, ditto the sword.

X for Xena, blue X, flesh of head arms and legs, brown fake leather all pinned in place. Xena has no hair yet.

I had intended that Xena's wrist cover would just be embroidery but in a fit of crazies I decided this would be too complicated and switched back to some more of the fake leather. Embroidering through 2 layers of fake leather, plus cloth (2 ish layers for the X and backing and interfacing) was challenging but fortunately it was a small area. Next I was on to the dress embroidering, followed by the arm bands and chakram, then the X and hair and face.
X for Xena mostly finished bar the sword hilt to be embroidered above her right shoulder, I guess she's a lefty like me!
Final detail which I nearly forgot was the sword being carried on her back. Something I've just realised is I've accidentally put it over her right shoulder, making it easier to take out of its sheathe with its left hand. Mind you I'm sure Xena has done sword fighting with both hands and I'm a leftie also so tough!
X for Xena complete
I'm now slightly panicking about the more complex design for Y. Don't panic!!

No comments: