Thursday 10 October 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet : W is for Wonder Woman

Some of you may know I've had some concern and care to make sure there is decent female representation on my alphabet, but we're coming to a small concentration now with Wonder Woman followed by, well, you'll see soon enough.

Anyhoo, first realisation was that the basics of the costume have varied a lot and so have the specifics.

Picspam alert!
Wonder Woman - possibly Golden or Silver age illustration More recent Wonder Woman comic book cover with lightning
See? I'm limiting myself a bit these days

Anyhoo, my first indecision was the background colour. Initial plan had been green like F, but I was debating dark navy blue, like the Tardis letter T. But I wasn't sure. I wanted to have a play while at work so I used my PicsArt App to draw onto the photo of the design to test out these options for contrast and design.
Colour sketch done by drawing on photo of the design using PicsArt app
Although I like the blue and it would have been more of a piece, I decided that actually green would make the design pop a bit more. I also tried out 2 fabrics of green before sticking with my original choice. For this reason I made most of Wonderwoman as a single separate piece so I could lay her out on the two colours of backgrounds - a bit like with Icarus for the letter I (although that was positioning not about background testing).

Wonder Woman's hair and body pieces sewn together so she could be "screen" tested (test out different background fabrics)

As we've mentioned I just went with original green.  From that point it was pretty quick. I sewed down the W through Wonder Woman as part of sewing her in place. The yellow was an obvious choice for the W - to echo the gold on her costume.

Sewing down the yellow letter W

Then I finished off the details. Cuff got sewn on, headband got sewn on, Shorts got sewn down, and the decorative embroidery - red star in the headband, gold detailing to corset, stars on the shorts all got added. Late on due to some slight shifting of fabric during sewing I found the neck had got a bit rumpled so I put some stuffing in behind the neck and shoulders  (and face) to disguise it.

Wonder Woman and W mostly sewn and finished.

Belatedly I realised I'd missed some tiny bits sewing (under her left arm) and not sewn in the magic lasso of truth! Can't leave that out!
W is for Wonder Woman complete

I am a huge fan of this character and I love that her origin story (not comic book) but her creator, is about a male feminist's determination to give girls and women a good role model!

In my head as a classicist she gets crossed with Athena who started our alphabet and they have their similarities as Greek women who are wise and warriors.

No comments: