Wednesday 29 May 2013

A G[r]eek alphabet...help needed

Soooo I have a new project - I'm making something for a friend's baby.

It's going to be a nerdy/classical/children's alphabet!

So far the letters I've vaguely worked out

[update with friend's suggestions that I like as of 02/06/2013]

A - Athena, Apples of Hesperides, Great A'tuin
B - Binky ( Pratchett), ?Brunhilde (not sure how to do that yet), Big Bird, Books
C - Callisto (Ursa Major - constellation), Cheshire Cat
D - Daleks, Dwarves
E - Elmer the elephant, Elmo
F - ?Freya (not sure how to do that), Flamingo croquet (Alice), Feegles (Pratchett)
G - Greebo (Pratchett)
H - Heracles, Hogfather (Death as, Pratchett)
I - Icarus, Isis
J - Jam (“The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday-but never jam today" - White Queen in Alice), ?Jedi (not sure how to do yet)
K - Kraken, K9 (Doctor Who), Knight
L - Light sabers, Loki, luggage (Pratchett), Lego
M - Medusa, Millenium Falcon
N - Narcissus
O - Odysseus, Odin
P - Persephone Pomegranate
Q - Queens (Red, White- Alice)
R - Red Queen (Alice), White Rabbit?
S - Stark, Sonic Screwdriver, Star Trek
T - Tardis, Towel, Theseus
U - Unicorn, Uhura
V - Violin (Sherlock playing one), vampire (cout from Sesame Street)
W - Wizzard (Rincewind's hat, Pratchett), White Rabbit?
X - x wing
Y - Yggdrasil (world tree), Yoda
Z - Zeus

8 comments:

Tony said...

B - Beverly Crusher, Dr. ST:TNG
F - Ford Prefect H2G2
G - G'Kar B5
K - Kraken (Northern European mythology rather than Greek but hey)
Q - Q ST:TNG
U - Ulysses (Romanised I'll admit) Or Uhura

Jane said...

If you have Odin, Loki and Yggdrasil, you have precedence for both Freya and Brunhilde. :-)
Given you have some Pratchett, I'd also suggest Feegles. And Greebo.
I don't know what your rules are vis. sources and how many things you want per letter, but you know what I'm like, especially with Discworld stuff. I assume the legends will have to to through degree of sanitisation for children! :-)

Jane said...

Further to TP suggestions and steering clear of characters, per se, I would suggest Great A'Tuin and Binky.
And about a million other things, because when you start this game, it's really hard to stop! x

Jane said...

Help, I'm trapped in the comments section! :-) Okay, you have Alice stuff, so I suggest Cheshire Cat, White Rabbit, Jabberwocky and Flamingo (croquet) for listings that are currently a bit sparser than others. Also, if Q is challenging, come up with a new R and have "Queens" (red, white and of hearts). Also - unicorn. x

poetryghost said...

Hey Tony

Iif it were for me I would for definite use your Star Trek and B5 suggestions but my friend is not really a Trekkie.

The other prob with those awesome characters is I'd need to portrait them for it to be obvious who they are and I'm not that great a draftswoman when it comes to people. I can give the impression only through props and dress as with the plushies.

I do like the kraken idea though. And if you think of more please do continue to suggest things

poetryghost said...

Hey wonderful,

Thanx for all the great suggestions. I hope you escaped!!!

I love all of your suggestions. Especially flamingo, unicorn, queens, great a'tuin and greebo, also binky...maybe I could have white rabbit for R too.... will have a think.

Dalekette said...

Definitely need unicorn, also dragon. K could be knight, also enterprise, battlestar, wolverine, Jedi, x men, battlecat, ironman, hulk. Spiderman, Lego, knightmare, books, c3po, r2d2, wonderwoman, xena, vampire (a la the count from sesame st), yoda....

poetryghost said...

Suggestions from Binky on twitter

F = Frodo. C = Cybermen. I = Iron Man. S = Superman/Superwoman. W = Wonder woman. N = Nanny Ogg. M = Magrat or W = Witches.

H = Hobbits. E = Elves. J = Jareth. D = The Doctor. H = Hoggle. B = Buffy. S = Sheldon. M = Magneto. S = Snape (Prof) etc.