Sunday 31 March 2013

Next few plushies

So I have a few more plushies and in a way I'd really like it if I didn't get any more requests till I'm down to a shorter list. It's a bit daunting knowing the list is 6-7 people long. Still, if people ask, I will put them on the list or else they'll end up unfairly further down the queue.

  1. Benedict Cumberbatch / Sherlock

  2. The next plushie to make is Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock. There is a limit to what I can do to make him characteristic. I'll make him a side parting somehow, a blue scarf, a dark long coat and I guess he'll wear a white shirt and dark trousers.
    Reference photo of Cumberbatch / Sherlock for clothing etc

  3. Morpheus / Sandman

  4. Morpheus is simultaneously very simple and very debatable, I want to make it interesting and appealing. I may well make a fake leather jacket despite the pain of sewing with such a tough material. I'm also not sure what to do about the helmet. I don't want to make it out of cloth, and I'm not sure what I can use. I was thinking maybe a plastic egg like a kinder egg but I think that will be too small. I am wondering if it should be satin skin, or sparkly skin or just white felt. I'd really quite like to have skin that does not require hemming. One image of Sandman has him barefoot. I'm quite tempted by this idea too.

  5. 10th Doctor (David Tennant)

  6. After that I have a second 10 to make. Yay the Doctor! This should be a doddle after this many. I will be using slightly different materials to the previous 10 because I use the materials I have to hand and as they are scrap it depends what is available and I think I've run out of the navy blue slightly stiff material that I used first time. I have some lighter weight cotton in navy to use instead I think. I'm also going to change the tie material for similar reasons. The coat will be as before though.

  7. Michael Jackson (Thriller)

  8. Finally for this run of plushies I have my second real life person : Michael Jackson. I have some concerns about a doll made in the likeness of a black man by a white woman and not being unintentionally racist. He will be wearing his thriller outfit, his skin will be brown and his hair black. The thriller outfit is red with black.

    This is currently my source picture.

    I know it is a model not a picture of MJ himself but it is nice and clear and close up, which when designing something really helps. Also, I've looked at actual MJ pictures and the outfit seems accurate. The person who requested this has also asked for him to be non zombie MJ so the outfit will be semi clean. I may extend the skin colour up the arms to give a slight effect of the rolled up sleeves but this will be tough as the arms are not particularly long anyway.

In other news I went to the craft shop for some black embroidery thread and some extra felt and bits and came out with a rather larger purchase than planned. £30 worth. Although to be fair £10 was a gorgeous pair of scissors shaped like a bird and another £10 was a large reel of white thread. So I feel justified.

1 comment:

Dalekette said...

Use the thinner leather for the coat, it's way easier to sew than the thick stuff! I think we sent you some of it in the big parcel?