Sunday 24 March 2013

It's been a while

So with a decision to make a few more conveniently or inconveniently matching up with my computer's scammer infection Superman came through rather quickly. To be honest it wasn't a difficult one to do and I guess I'm rather more used to making them now.
The requester wanted a mid transformation Superman Clark Kent. Clark Kent ripping open his shirt to reveal the Superman logo
I'd already made my initial sketch.
Planning sketch with extra notes on the superman logo
 So the main bit of research I did was to check the details of the logo, which showed me how your memory is not all that accurate.

I had remembered either a yellow or a red logo just on blue, but in actual fact it is a red logo on yellow on the blue suit.
Embroidering the Superman logo
I am always looking for ways to add in embroidery so I decided I would embroider the logo.
Cloth choices were fun in part because of the lovely people who've donated me cloth (thank you Jane, Sarah, Hilary, Mum). Apart from the felt for the face, none of the cloth was bought, and none of the cloth was bought for this specific project.
Then it was really mostly assembly.
First stage with the two halves each with the different parts sewn or pinned together for Superman
I did have a small debate when I did the face and hair as in some depictions Superman's hair curls up above the forehead or is swept back as in the Adventures of Lois and Clark tv series, where I had a teen crush on Dean Cain.
But I'd been chatting about the fact I wasn't sure Superman had brown hair to the requester and she asked for a more classic "Christopher Reeve" kiss curl. So that's what she got!
Christopher Reeve in Superman costume
Superman Clark Kent - detail of facial embroidery - eyes, mouth and kiss curl
Then I was off on my own again.
Superman Clark Kent doll complete

 I decided that as a surprise Supes should have a removable cape because it was, well, fun. I couldn't remember if the cape had the logo on or what the cape logo looked like. I thought it might be red on red, but my friend Nina came to the rescue with an image source. I'm still not clear if there is a cannon on this as a new google search seems to show some variation. But this image from the DC online game seems to be relatively clear and follow the pattern I used.

i.e. I did a yellow on yellow logo on the red cape.
Magically when I came to make the cape I remembered I'd got some red ribbon the perfect length to use for the tie, so that all worked out really well. I also found some yellow felt which made making the logo so much easier. I regretted not remembering I had it when I was doing the front logo as although it was fun to embroider, it was hard to stop the cloth from distorting. And in fact I just had to accept some cloth distortion even with the hoop.
Back view showing Superman cape with logo detail
I kind of like it anyway. As is typical if I am doing sewing I sometimes get certain things stuck in my memory that I associate with the time I was doing sewing. This logo reminds me about being stuck watching "You, me and Dupree" while I was finishing it off. By the way I only saw the last 20 minutes and it was terrible. Although not as terrible as the hours I will not get back from watching the Proposal with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds. You need to be able to believe the couple fall in love directors! I never did! Both actors should know better as they've done better.
Close up of Superman cape logo
So then he was nearly nearly done. Clark Kent doll complete and now wearing the cloak
I don't have coloured card in the house so I appropriated some from my parents today when I went over, the same supply that gave Harry Potter some glasses! Thanks Mummy and Daddy!
So now he is complete, and all ready to be handed over to his owner in time for Easter. Complete plushie of Clark Kent mid changing into Superman costume with glasses and cape and logo showing through his open shirt

No comments: