Saturday 30 January 2016

Page - 3, really not that naughty

In the UK page 3 typically refers to the fact that the Sun has a topless model on its page 3 of the tabloid. Mine is a lot more decorous, involving a sparrow and a biplane rather than anything else.

As always I was looking at a fun way to reinterpret something pretty basic. Please don't ask how feathers connect to a biplane. It's just the way my mind worked.

The biggest challenge here was the fabrics. The basic background fabric was actually multiple layers of a very transparent cloth, and the plane was made out of some extremely stretchy fabric.

It rapidly drove me a little distracted as you had to hold it in place and there's a limit to the number of pins you can use on something so small, specially as the pins at the edges are just where you want to sew.

1. The design and the first stage - pinning on the biplane
I really regretted not putting interfacing onto the plane which would have helped a lot in keeping its shape.

One of the other problems I face is that I don't own infinite colours of thread. When is started sewing down the plane I'd found what I thought was the nearest colour I had. I then found I had something much closer, so I sewed over the top to hide the other colour stitching

I then used a brown to create shadows and details. However, as you can see here the brown X of the wing behind the brown sparrow, even though they are different browns was too indistinct.
2. The plane is sewed down and the details are added in with embroidery including the sparrow and shading
So, having used red for the propeller and the cockpit I added a bit of red to the Xs on the wings to make them more of a contrast with the sparrow.

The final problem I had was that the fabric seemed to be fraying at a rate of knots. So to prevent the fabric from disappearing I sewed ribbons over the edges to hem them .

The final page - "Der sperling feine federline" - the sparrow has fine feathers.
3. The completed page - "Der sperling feine federlein" - The sparrow has fine feathers
For interest I was watching a lot of Jessica Jones while making this page.

No comments: