Monday 11 November 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet - Z is for Zaphod Beeblebrox

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking poetryghost you're a LIBRARIAN, shouldn't that be B is for Beeblebrox, Zaphod. Actually you aren't cos only librarians think these kind of thoughts but never mind.

I'm not 100% well and to cheer myself up at being not able to go to dance class I thought I'd catch you up on letter Z.

Zaphod is a fun character - fond of clashing outfits but also a bit suave. I decided I would make the colours as extreme as possible but preferably not eyewateringly painful to look at.

I started with the peach background and then added green and purple, notoriously bad colours to wear together. To make it bearable I toned down the green and the purple was darker anyway. I dithered over the letter colour for a while but ended up with dark greenish to contrast everything else going on and to avoid adding more colours to the palette.

I did worry initially about the skin being a beige colour and fading into the peach background but I figured if I gave him brown hair on his heads then that would help to outline his heads

Z for Zaphod Beeblebrox initial sewing down of the main fabrics

So then I wanted a way to link the two halves of his shirt so that it didn't look like two guys hugging each other. So I created a zig zag across the edges using embroidery.

At this point the glass for his pan galatic gargle blaster was too dark on the dark of the green so I outlined it in white.
Z for Zaphod Beeblebrox, most of the embroidery done
I realised that the pale green was also fading into the background too much, so I decided that having outlined one green sleeve in purple I could outline the whole of the green side in purple as well. I also outlined all the flesh in a very thin black line.
Z for Zaphod Beeblebrox complete

So there we are Zaphod Beeblebrox is complete!

Final news before bed - letter A now has a completed back and is completely sewn up! Yay!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: